Aon Hewitt announced its 2012 Best Employers in Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) survey, with Microsoft being named the Best of the Best for 2012.
Fourteen organisations received the Aon Hewitt Best Employer accreditation in 2012 including Chorus New Zealand Limited, Express Data, FedEx Express (Australia), FedEx Express (New Zealand), Frucor Beverages Australia, Hilti Australia, Janssen Australia and New Zealand, Microsoft Australia Pty Ltd, Peoplebank Australia Limited, SEEK Limited, Shire Australia Pty Ltd, Starlight’s Children’s Foundation, Trilby Misso Lawyers and Wood & Grieve Engineers Limited.
Now in its twelfth year, the study reflected the opinions of over 74,000 employees across 165 companies within Australia and New Zealand, from this, 102 companies participated in the 2012 Best Employers accreditation program.
“Aon Hewitt Best Employers have a fundamental belief that developing a highly engaged and productive workforce is a non-negotiable requirement” comments James Rutherford, Best Employer program lead, Aon Hewitt “Best employers do more than create a nice place to work. They create the conditions for people to excel and contribute discretionary effort.”
The 2012 study identified five distinguishable characteristics of a Best Employer:
- unwavering commitment from senior leaders to the importance of developing highly engaged and productive employees
- clear performance expectations that align people to the organisation’s goals and values, and bring meaning to their work
- people managers who create the conditions for their people to excel
- reward and recognition practices that encourage employees to contribute discretionary effort
- clear communication on what employees can expect which in turn helps the organisation to be more competitive in attracting and retaining in a tight labour market.