Mark is a keynote speaker at our half-day business leadership event on 21 June 2016 in Brisbane – Best Workplace Accelerator.
Mark Middleton is the highly-regarded CEO of Icon Group, which incorporates Icon Cancer Care, Radiation Oncology Centres (ROC), Epic Pharmacy and Slade Health. He is passionate about ensuring accessibility to world class cancer care for all Australians.
In 2007, as the CEO of Radiation Oncology Centres (ROC) he led the highly successful clinical commencement of ROQ Toowoomba, repeated the success in 2011 with ROQ Cairns and in 2014 with ROQ Gold Coast. Mark was the driving force behind the acquisitions of Radiation Oncology Institute (ROI) and Oceania Oncology to form ROC.
In 2010, he led the company to a Business Excellence Award from the Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce and in 2014, a place on the BRW Top 25 Best Places to Work in Australia and Top 25 Best Places to Work in Asia. In 2015 Mark was awarded the regional winner of the AIM Excellence Award.
In 2016, Mark bravely competed in Dancing CEOs to personally raise $28,847 for Women’s Legal Service.
In a deal announced on Friday 3 June 2016, private hospital operator Healthscope has partnered with leading cancer care provider Icon Group to deliver advanced cancer treatment options at seven sites across Australia. Icon Group, which is one of Australia’s largest dedicated cancer care providers, will reportedly invest $65 million to establish the services. They will be set up at seven hospitals where radiation oncology services are not currently available.
Mark’s top strategies for establishing a great place to work
- Mark believes that culture boils down to three things:
- People who have trust in the organisation and its leaders
- People who take enormous pride in the work that they do
- People who recognise the value in what they provide
- Acknowledgment program that recognises people who have done great things for the organisation or its customers
- Organisation-wide messages from the CEO recognising exceptional performance
- A gift to all employees who are making their first important presentation or publishing something for the first time
- Employee development days (one each year for each site)
- Grow and promote people from within the organisation as much as possible.
- Community outreach programs (designing murals, planting trees in the park, cooking meals for the homeless, etc.)
- Highly flexible work arrangements to retain female employees (especially those with children)
- Significant business growth in a relatively short period of time.
- The benefits are largely intangible, but the pride that people take in their work and the organisation’s role makes work meaningful and rewarding for all.
- Employees feel they are being developed professionally and growing personally.
- A strong reputation, which has led to the organisation’s enviable status as a top employer, and has people lining up for employment with ROC.
Mark Middleton’s tip
“It’s really good professionals who take great pride and then can translate that into being really good citizens who are prepared to do more for the community. It translates through their whole life. It’s being able to say, ‘I make a difference, I’m of great value’.”
Mark Middleton is a keynote speaker at our Best Workplace Accelerator event on Tuesday 21 June 2016. For more information go to: http://hhr.demowpsites.com/services.
If you would like to hear more about how Mark built a great place to work then go to my podcast interview with Mark on iTunes – Best Workplace CEOs with Claire Harrison. If you don’t have iTunes you can listen on the Harrison Human Resources website podcast page.
The post Valuable Work – Strategies for a Great Place to Work appeared first on Human Resources Brisbane | Best Workplace Assessment.